A corner for all cooks, aspiring or seasoned, Cook's Corner is for you!
Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with a Festive FiestaFiery Fiesta Empanadas
For Mexican food lovers everywhere, Cinco de Mayo provides the perfect excuse to host a fiesta. This year, try spicing up your party menu with Mexican-inspired bold flavors and fresh ingredients using these tips and recipe. With a little planning and some key fresh ingredients, you can host a fiesta everyone will enjoy.
Here are a few authentic dips and dishes to liven any party spread:
- Green, Green Guacamole - This flavorful dip embodies the festive flavors of the holiday. To make fresh guacamole, add green onions, cilantro and Tabasco green jalapeño pepper sauce to ripe, mashed avocados.
- Mexican Caviar - Not your average salsa dip, this hearty and zesty recipe combines black beans, corn, avocado, tomatoes and cilantro for a muy bueno party starter that is sure to please.
- Spicy Taquitos - Packed with genuine flavor, these savory appetizers can be served all year long. A satisfying blend of chicken, red beans and shredded cheese is rolled into buttery phyllo dough and baked until golden and crispy.
For more sizzling, south-of-the-border recipes, visit www.tabasco.com.
Fiery Fiesta Empanadas
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup taco sauce
- 1/4 cup pitted ripe olives, chopped
- 4 teaspoons Tabasco green jalapeño pepper sauce, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Combine flour, cornmeal and salt in medium bowl. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle in water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough sticks together.
- On lightly floured surface with lightly floured rolling pin, roll out half of dough until 1/4-inch thick. Cut dough into two 7-inch rounds. Repeat with remaining dough and scraps. Cover; set aside.
- Cook ground beef and garlic in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until beef is browned on all sides, stirring occasionally to break up beef.
- Stir in scallions, taco sauce, olives, 3 teaspoons green jalapeño pepper sauce, oregano, cumin and salt until well blended. Stir in cheese.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Grease large cookie sheet. Spoon about 1/2-cup filling on 1/2 of each round, leaving a 1/2-inch border.
- Stir together egg and remaining teaspoon green jalapeño pepper sauce.
- Brush border with egg mixture.
- Fold dough over filling, pressing out air. Crimp edges with fork or fingers to seal.
- Place on baking sheet. Bake 25 minutes or until golden.
Makes 4 empanadas
You will need:
8 -12oz Grape Jelly
1 pkg. Swedish Meatballs
Place the desired jelly in a pan over medium heat and melt it down. The more jelly you add, the sweeter your meatballs will be. Once smooth, add the bottle of chili sauce and heat to a boil. Add the Swedish Meatballs and cook according to package directions. The pot can be transferred to a crock pot to hold warm for guest or family dinner.
Easy and delicious! These sweet meatballs are a hit for any occasion!